Thursday, September 17, 2009

Old Punks Never Die, They Just Sing Live Band Karaoke

The pic above features me at the microphone singing The Clash's version of Bobby Fuller's "I Fought The Law." The occasion was the WFMU 91.1FM Record Fair at the Metropolitan Pavilion on West 18th St. in October 2005. The group was called something like the Happy Fun Karaoke Band, and I was one of about 20 brave warblers seeking the spotlight in front of thousands of record collectors and millions of records in boxes, hoping to win some kind of gag prize. WFMU Saturday afternoon DJ Terre T emceed.
I had never sang live band karaoke before, just the usual guy-in-a-bar with music-machine type. It was a little daunting, but a couple of Bud bottles really made it easier to sign up. The group was pretty tight and their covers sounded a lot like the originals. It's hard to remember the numbers other contestants sang, but I do recall "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" and some Igg Pop tune.
I felt exhiliarated while singing, the band and I meshed really well, and the crowd reacted favorably. It felt really good. And then when Terre T put her hand over my head for crowd applause, I made it as a top-5 finalist. I didn't win ("Boots" did, I recall the gal who sang it was from Toronto). But it was great being part of a rock & roll show instead of just observing.
That's what this blog will be about--I intend to attempt to to recall every band I've ever seen, from about 1972 to present. This blog will amuse and inform and will provide a unique view on the grand history of one of America's great traditions--Rock & Roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment